Monday 8 August 2011

Tryin' Gigs

First off, let me apologise for the sheer awfulnuss of the headline pun.  I'd change it to something wittier, but I've been working for a whole 9 hours today, so fuck you, deal with it.

When I moved to London I decided not to resume stand-up until I was sorted with both a proper job and a place to live.  Well, since I finally found a full-time, permanent job two weeks ago and I'm not living on the streets, I guess it's time to grace the stage once more.

Only, down in the Big Smoke, I'm finding it harder than I thought.  I've found a few gig websites, and emailed quite a few promoters who do gigs locally to me, but so far.... nada. 

There are plenty of gigs, sure, but a lot of them are either bring-a-buddy or pay-to-play.  Fuck you, London comedy scene, I won't do what you tell me.  Both those concepts are appalling and highly flawed American imports that apparently all but ruined the New York comedy circuit, and the way things are going, London won't be far behind.

If I don't get a bite soon, my comedy career is over before it starts (again). 

In short, somebody give me five minutes of stage time and I'll give comedy gold in return.  Or comedy frankincense.  Or comedy myrrh.

You know, whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment